Written by Melinda Kennedy, Senior Organizational Development Consultant
Previously published by PSI Talent Management or Cubiks, prior to becoming Talogy.
It happens time and time again. You employ a best practice approach to select the best candidate for a particular role. You review resumes, conduct interviews, and leverage hiring assessment data. You have put in the time and energy to hire a rockstar. Now what do you do? Many times, we fall into the trap of assuming that because the newly hired employee is a good fit for the role, our job is done. But in fact, it has just begun! Studies have shown that employees are looking for companies that will invest in their development, provide them with feedback, and give them tools to succeed. This is the prime opportunity to utilize the data you have at your fingertips to successfully bridge the gap between selection and development. The time is now to develop that rockstar into a champion.
To jumpstart this initiative, here are some steps to take and questions you should be asking within your organization.
1. Review your current development programs
- What programs do we have that meet the needs of our employees?
- How do we know that the current programs are successful?
- How do we pivot to support the needs of newer generations and the ongoing changes in the new era of work?
2. Talk to your employees about their needs
- What assumptions are we making?
- How often do we ask our employees what they desire for their development?
- Do our ideas of development align with how employees prefer to learn?
3. Take the temperature of your organization
- What is our current attitude towards development?
- Do employees feel that there is ample time and attention being given to development initiatives?
- How do we ensure that we are creating opportunities for employee development that are seen as desirable and not viewed as a burden or “checking a box”?
4. Leverage your selection data
- What do I do with the selection data now that I have it?
- How do I use the data to identify areas of needed development for individuals, teams, departments, and the overall organization?
- Once those areas are identified, how do I ensure that I’m providing enough support to employees throughout their development journey?
Today’s employees are looking for ways to fit learning and development into their already busy schedules. Self-paced, virtual, micro-learning is a great way to bridge the gap from selection to development. Investment in the development of your employees in a way that allows them to personalize their learning journey will result in increased retention, enhanced productivity and engagement, and improved business outcomes.
If your organization is looking for a way to bridge the gap between selection and development, PSI offers an innovative platform that obtains critical hiring information and turns it into individualized growth plans. The AIM Learning System is a scalable, job-related competency development program that leverages best practice learning principles to create personalized learning journeys for your employees. AIM Learning System can support you at every stage of the employee life cycle – from selection to succession.